Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Leaving Louisville

I was so excited I couldn't sleep. Since I didn't have to go to the airport until 10:30, I had left my final packing until this morning. I had everything arranged into lightweight bags - one for toiletries/first aid, electronics (chargers for phone and camera, etc.), bathing/laundry, clothing (including Alto rain poncho, rain jacket, fleece, Keen hiking sandals, flip flops), miscellaneous bag, sleeping bag, and a tiny "fear bag." Yes, I was able to pack all my "fears" (things I might need but probably will not) into something the size of a sandwich bag. Wouldn't it be nice in life to condense our fears into a tiny pouch - and then at some point leave them behind.

Amazingly, it all fit perfectly into 45 L of my 55 L back pack. I wish I could say the weight was as perfect. It weighed in at 18 lbs. without water. But I've trained with that weight, so I'll survive, or I'll just leave more stuff behind. Apparently, there are boxes at the albuergues where people do that, and others are able to take things as needed. Ah, the spirit of the Camino.

I am now at the Atlanta airport waiting for my flight to Madrid which leaves at 5:50. I just heard from Michele in Saskatoon and her flight is on time so we are both on our way!




No comments:

Post a Comment