Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Arrive in Madrid

I had forgotten what a beautiful city Madrid is. It helps that the weather today is spectacular. Very sunny and in the 70's. Checked into our tiny but extremely well-located Hotel Astoria (thanks Allison) and took off walking. I was quickly sidetracked by the Real Jardin Botanico, a beautiful multi-level garden established by King Charles III in 1781. It is still a center of research and preservation as well as being colorful and meticulously manicured. It was great to see all the tulips in bloom along with Rhododendron, Camellias, Wisteria and Red Bud trees - made me feel right at home.
Then to the train station to buy tickets to Pamplona for tomorrow.
The day was still gorgeous so I stopped on my way back to visit Retiro Park, equally as beautiful as the Real but with more trees and beautiful ponds, large enough for row boats.
Michele is on the plane from Frankfort so she will join me soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment