Friday, June 14, 2019

Geneva to Villars sur Ollon - Day 2

I did make it to Geneva today, but not without an assortment of travel issues.
First my plane leaving Louisville was delayed for 3 hours, whittling my 4 hour layover down to one, all due to traffic control in Newark. I was cautioned that I would not make it, but amazingly I did, just as they were finishing the boarding.
Then as I settled into my seat for my 6 pm departure, the captain announced that a passenger boarding the plane saw a leak from one of the wings. So everyone had to get off, including all the luggage, while they made a determination.
After about 30 minutes they said the problem could not be easily fixed and
they would try to get a new plane.
Finally, after towing away the old one, bringing in the new one, reboarding everyone for a 10:30 pm departure, we thought we were good. 
But wait, someone must have decided not to reboard and now we had to find his bag in the myriad luggage down below. And then a mixup with a catering item.
Finally, we left about 11, arriving in Geneva around 1 pm. What a long day!
I along with 4 other RS participants met up with a driver who drove us from Geneva to Villars, about a 90 minute trip. The road followed along Lake Geneva for quite a while, and we drove through a number of villages and cities. We even saw many vineyards. Then the road became narrow and windy, taking us up into our first view of the Alps.



Our lodging Eurotel Victoria Villars feels like it is at the end of the road at the highest point. 





Above is view from my room.
We are in a little village that must be noted for skiing — lots of fancy shops and gear stores.  The weather was sunny so I took a walk to check out the environs.


I managed to get a shot of me in the Alps on a sunny day.  Later I joined up with my friend Sydney for our group orientation and then we had a lovely dinner at the hotel — but the wide assortment of appetizers was the best! Now to bed. When did I last sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment